Thursday, January 26, 2006

Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcakes





Last week we had a Hawaiian themed birthday party at work and I baked these cupcakes. I have to admit it is getting harder to bake on week nights and thanks to Battlestar Gallactica, my nights are filled with Sci-Fi action.

So, it was one of those Battlestar nights...I had a batch of these in the oven and the milk for the glaze was on the stove. I poured chocolate chips into the boiled milk and turned off the oven. Cupcakes were on the timer so I went to watch the show, thinking I am the master of baking! In two minutes there were weird noises coming from the kitchen:((( Instead of the stove, I turned off the oven. My glaze was burnt, the cupcakes were still still juicy...I screwed up a little:)

Then I got this quote in my Gmail feeder from Socrates..."The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." So true!

Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Chocolate Glaze
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup milk
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
4 mashed ripe bananas
1 cup coarsely chopped chocolate chips

Steps:

1. Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt with a whisk in a large bowl.
2. Beat eggs.
3. Add oil and vanilla to beaten eggs and don't over-mix.
4. Add egg/oil/vanilla mixture to flour/sugar/baking soda/cinnamon/salt mixture.
5. Mix the bananas into the batter
6. Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine. Do not over-mix, good 5-6 strokes are enough.

Bake at 350 degrees for ~25 minutes until golden and a toothpick comes out clean.

Inspired from: Cupcake Bakeshop

Chocolate Glaze

1/2 cup milk
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon corn syrup

1) In a small saucepan, bring the milk to just under a boil.
2) Add the chocolate and, over very low heat, stir until it is just melted.
3) Remove from heat and stir in the corn syrup. Cool slightly.

Inspired from: Culinary in the Desert

Glaze each cupcake by completely dipping the top in the glaze. Feel free to decorate as you wish, sky is your limit!

No comments: