Thursday, March 08, 2007

What you eat makes a difference

Just read an interesting post from Meg. on local vs. organic farming article on Time magazine. I face with the same issue everyday...I buy most of the produce from the organic farmers market on Saturdays. But the selection is limited there...So, I go to Cobano to buy more from the farmers market on Mondays. Stuff there is not certified, but claim that lettuce is organic and bananas are organic as well...Rest is not. Still, fruit is ripe, fresh and right from the farm...

If you go another 6 hours from Cobano and come to San Jose, you can buy almost anything organic. Most of it is imported from the U.S or Chile.. Nuts, apples, grapes, peanut butter, almond butter...However, I did not come here to support import-export business. So, do I only offer local organic sesame butter?

I am no Alice Waters and I am confused. Best would be to have my own farm, grow my own vegetables and fruits and offer only produce from my farm. Baby steps, I am starting with an herb garden. Jose gifted me rosemary already, all I need is mint, parsley and cilantro.




No comments: